Some say, “there’s no place like it”, others say, “home is
where the heart is”, I’m not really sure what I believe. But I know this to be true;
home is where you find healing. Whatever kind of healing you need it seems like
and for me, it was a little bit of everything. I don’t think I could have asked
for a better place to go and feel the support, the understanding, the wisdom,
the encouragement and most of all…loved. Our wonderful King knew what He was
doing when He brought me back here for surgery and I am so very thankful.
Recovery is coming along. It’s hard work, painful and at
times tiring but I’m pushing through. I have another strength test coming up so
we’ll see what the DR. has to say but my wonderful Physical Therapist says I’m
looking great! Don’t let blood fool ya, just because we are related doesn’t
mean she has been easy on me; she’s pushing me hard because she knows what it
means to me to be back 100%. I am working with her 3 times a week and then
doing some endurance stuff on my own. They say something like this takes a year
to fully recovery from but I am trying to push myself as hard as I can, maybe
even harder now that I have a goal. I just heard this week about a volleyball
tournament being held at my old high school on July 13th, it’s a
benefit for my former coach who is fighting breast cancer. As soon as I heard
about it I knew I would be there to support her but I would really love to play
as well. If you are in the area PLEASE come out and support her and maybe
you’ll get to see me play for the first time post surgery.
![]() |
| My Aunt and Physical Therapist |
Beside physical therapy what have I’ve been doing to fill my
time? Well, I’m glad you’ve asked! I’ve been going in million directions
really, but to narrow it down little, I went up to New York for long weekend to
see some wonderful friends, the Freier Family and their amazing kids. They were
a great sounding board and let me toss around ideas of what I could do next. Then
I went up to see some friends in Virginia, who were a wonderful encouragement and
joy to be around. I’ve been to speak at a couple of elementary schools in the
area, just to share a little of what HE has done this past year, as well as
doing some bible studies with a small group from my home ch**ch. It’s been so great to be back with them and
seeing how He is moving in their lives even back here state side. Lastly, I
flew down to Atlanta to my company home office for a workshop on Interpersonal
Skills, which was great and if I’m completely honest, exhausting as well, but I
got to meet some amazing people that wouldn’t have happened other wise.
| 3 little monkeys hanging in the tree... |
| Making Coconut Milk with the Students |
| Checking out my things from the Islands |
“Therefore, as God’s
chosen people, hold and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion,
kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive
whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave
you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in
perfect unity.” Colossians 3:12-14
Yes, the Almighty showed Himself this past week. I wasn’t
really sure what I was going to get out of the week, clarity, direction,
closure and maybe learn more about myself as well, but HE KNEW and He prepared
the people to put into my path. As we
circled up on the first night I just shared that I felt like I was covered in Band-Aids.
Some of them were physical but most were emotional and spiritual. Now I know
wounds often take time but I was hoping some would be healed or at least the
process could start. HE ANSWERED! First,
He showed me the hope of what could be, several places that I am looking into
going next year. I will share more about
this later. Second, He gave me
purpose, I got me meet a wonderful girl who is going to one of the Islands
close to where I was this past year. I got to share with her all about culture,
language, food, climate and the people. Third,
He started to heal my wounds. He knew just who put in my path, to hold me, cry
with me and share my dream of serving Him; He sent them to me, just for me. I
couldn’t be more thankful.
![]() |
| Our Notes or Ark Work?? haha! |
What is Next?? Well, I am looking at couple of different
options. I have a research trip planned, the flight is booked, and in the
process of getting visas together. Now we just have to pr*y the Doctor gives
the all clear next week after my strength test. I am going to check out the
possibilities of working in clinics in Burundi, Uganda, and Kenya. I leave June
11th and plan to be back July 1st, not too long, the
hardest part will be flying…sitting in the plane for that long, yuck! I will be
traveling alone but I am staying with friends in ALL those places, so don’t worry.
I’m so excited to see these friends, its been a year or more since I’ve seen
all of them, kids have grown, they’ve all been working hard for His glory and I
can’t wait to catch up. While I’m there please Pr*y for direction, His peace,
where He would have me work and serve for His Kingdom in the future. I trust He
has a great plan for me and for the work He wants me to do.
One more thing I would like to share with you, it was
mothers day and a great one at that because I was home this year to be with my
mom. We were returning a couple of movies we had rented and as we were leaving
there at the intersection was a family of 5 sitting on the road. The dad was
holding a sign that said, ”Having hard times, please help”. The mom was feeding
her infant while at the same time was watching her 2 year old and 7 year old.
My heart broke; we don’t see much of this around here and especially not a
family. My mom and I reached for what cash we had on us and headed back toward
home. We didn’t make it far and I told my mom I needed to go back, just felt
like I should ask questions and go talk to them. So we pulled into the parking
lot and I went up and asked if I could know what was going on? What was there
need? Benjamin, the dad, said sure, then explained that he, Serena, his wife,
and the kids had come up from Texas for a job. A friend had told him that the
cost of living could be cheaper up here and he had a lead on a construction
job, but when the got up here the job fell though. He had no other leads and
with only enough money for a couple nights in the hotel they were spent. They
had been living in a mini-van, with their belongings, for the past 2 nights.
Again my heart breaks, I ask couple more questions then I excuse myself to the
car as I call a friend.
What should I do? What is the best way to help? We hang up,
I go back out to sit and talk with this sweet family some more as my friend
makes some calls. At this point, my heart is invested and I’m just ready to
bring them home with me. While waiting for my friend to join me, I start
telling the family what I do over seas and why I’m home, just sharing my heart.
“You are the light of
the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp
and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the
house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may
see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” Matthew
5:14-16
After the introductions are made between friends and the
family there is a little small talk exchanged, we could put them up for
a night in a hotel but then they would have still be stranded the
next day. They want to go back Texas, so we asked ourselves …. why not just
give the money and help them get home? IT’S DECIDED! We explain to the family
that we would like to help get them home and we would go get some cash and be
right back. While we go to a nearby cash machine – we learned that some friends
who saw us on the road – contacted my Mom and they wanted to help out as well.
GREAT! HE is MOVING! We take the money back to them; explaining why we are
giving and who told us to give. Our Father is the most loving, He loves us and
we want to show His love. They are shocked, disbelief that people would give
and care this much. We pr*y with them; some tears shed and send them on their
way. I pr*y He is with them and I pr*y they let us know they got there safe and
sound. HE IS GOOD, I have no other words than, HE IS GOOD!!
“A new commandment I
give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are
to love one another By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if
you have love for one another.” John 13:34-35







