We have officially made it to 7
months here on the Island. Just got back from another successful team retreat.
We end every unit with a retreat away, away from our villages, away from the
hustle and bustle of things, just a place to come together and reflect on what
HE did the last 3 months. It’s nothing fancy, just couple of bungalows and a
nice quite beach. Some, yours truly, have compared it to camping. There’s
nothing like sitting on the beach watching kids play, team members getting to
know each other better and then coming together and worshiping our KING under
the stars with ocean waves crashing in the background. So Blessed! “Worship is
a voluntary act of gratitude offered by the saved to the $avior, by the healed
to the Healer, by the delivered to the Deliverer.
Platform work has begun; this is
what we’ve been waiting for since we arrived. Excitements, nervousness, scared,
and anxious are just a few emotions looming in our house as our first days
approached. We been slowly preparing for this day for months now but the last
couple of weeks was the final stretch. Cramming language text in with our
helpers, trying to make sure we’ve thought of every possible thing we would
want to say so we could learn it before we start. Making sure all the paper
work is done and introductions have been made in the proper way. I met with the
director of the hospital and head of dental dept. and the Team leader met with
the administer of health for the Island. The girls had many meetings with the
lady spear heading there dance classes. Sarah and Alicia went and brought
fabric to make the girls matching shirts to wear for every practice. Then
Alicia and I ironed, and pinned 30+ shirts for Sarah to sow. Of course they
turned out adorable! All this while continuing to push forward in language learning
is tough but He is good! He is Worthy!
First days of work!
First day of work; up at 6am,
dressed and ready, breakfast and pry time, no need for a jolt of energy I was
wired enough already with excitement for the day. Back in a dental office, back
in scrubs all while trying not to get my hopes up to much. Unsure of what the
skills would be of the people I would be working with, unsure of what materials
the hospital has to offer. Knowing that they would feel insecure around me,
being a white woman. Being educated from American. Sounds like a great plan,
huh? Nothing could have prepared me for what I would see that day. Look back
now that it’s been a couple weeks and I’ve been prying about it more, I think
HE was trying to show me that it’s all up HILL from here. Maybe it was a
mixture of nervous on everyone’s part. I’m so thankful for such amazing roomies
and team who were there to hold my hand and pry with me through it. I’m looking
forward to how He will use me in the hospital and the friends I will make. Only
He can break down the barriers and walls between us. I’m learning that my role
is to be used, and help not to save. “When I’m weak, His power is made perfect
in me.”
One of the Three dental chairs at the Hospital...not too bad!
What does my life look like now? I
go to the hospital 2 days a week, Tuesday and Friday’s, it’s only in the
mornings. I hope to start going to the university with some other team members
on Monday mornings when school starts back. We will work with student’s
learning/speaking English, as a way of practicing it with them. We’ve learned
that young people are very opened to learning about what we believe and often
they don’t really understand what they believe or why. Looking to see Him do
great work there. Wednesdays are still a “relaxing” day for me. It’s usually
the day I try and catch up on computer work; writing emails, blogs, journaling
and of course hanging out by the pool or beach…whichever I’m in the mood for.
Thursday’s are team days; coming together and talking about what’s going on
here, prying together and discussing books we’ve read. All my afternoons are
language focused; meeting with a helper, studying or going and seeing
neighbors, and playing volleyball. It’s possible for me to go to some local
clinics and help with dentistry in the afternoons as well but I’m not focusing
on that just yet. Saturdays open for whatever; going to other villages with
friends, going to weddings or other events (it never stops), spending more time
with my community (playing volleyball) or spending time with team members (The
families). So, that’s’ my week in a nut shell, 7 hours of platform work and
12-15 hours of language, hope you’re able to follow that. “Live a life of love
just as HE loved us.” I will shine in the darkness.
PR*IS3 Reports:
- He continues to provide for my financial needs here. So very thankful!
- Health, I am well and roomies are too. Little team member, Josiah, was really sick and Power of pryer was shown in a Big way! Pr*ise Him!
- I started working at the Hospital, wearing scrubs again, working on teeth, familiar smells. (Yes, I know how that sounds.)
- So many different and exciting platforms/opportunities starting here on the island. He is going to do a Big work here.
- Unit 3 has started! We are studying Pryer; what the good book says, what others say, I’m learning so much.
- This team is a family to me, if I have to be away from my NC family, I’m glad it’s with these people. (Even the ones from Texas)
Pry Request:
- Cousin, Sandra, His healing and let His will be done. Pry peace of heart for me, and His comfort. Being away from family is really weighing heavy on my heart right now.
- Sarah’s grandmother having open-heart surgery. Alicia’s uncle’s health, being moved into a nursing home.
- Platform work. Pry for direction for others and myself as we see what His next plan is for us. Used Vessels for Him.
- Relationships that have been made with Island people continue to grow, that we are able to share truth and shine in the darkness.
- CONTINUE to pry for this, we had couple leads but still looking: Team is looking for a new car, we still have the 15 passengers Van but as you know, our numbers have grown and we need more transportation. We had a small automatic car but it has seen better days. To make a long story short, we are ready to drive it into the ocean. Pry we are able to find a vehicle to meet our needs that is in good condition.
Meet our Bold and
Fearless Team Leaders!
Whom you may ask decided to take on 18 Adults, 11 kids (plus
their 4 boys) and 2 extra kids on the way….Chris and Beka! Both are MK’s from
Africa and they met when they attended the company’s school in Kenya. Chris is
a go-getter, the energizer bunny doesn’t have anything on him. Beka is the best
fun loving and nurturing wingman to Chris. Both make such great team leaders,
they relay on each other but also know when to look up for HIS guidance as
well. How else would they be able to lead such a big team? Then we have Levi,
Nate, Caleb and Joshua. Levi and Nate going to school in Kenya, so we get to
see them when they are home for breaks. All the kids look up to them and they
make such great role models for them.
