Thursday, March 13, 2014

Cold, SNOW, ICE, SNOW…Brrrrr…..



It’s been almost a week since we, (mom, dad and I) packed up my little car and started the road trip to NY. WOW!!! So much to tell ya, let see where do I start…. I think the parents will agree that 13 hours in a car is too long!! Sure we stopped like every hour & a half but that was long!!! At least with a long plane ride I could sleep, watch a movie…relax a little bit. Mom does NOT like planes but I think she warmed up to the idea after the trip. I’m so thankful they were able to make the trip with me, see where I’m going to live and meet new friends. 

We got to Waterloo, NY about 7pm on Thursday night, said a quick hello to the roommate and then I got the parents to the hotel. Courtney, roommie, showed me around the house and to my room, where she had my bed made and ready for me. She also had some sweet welcome flowers on my dresser and had unpacked some things for me. AMAZING right?!! I’m so blessed, God is good, He provided a great roommate with a great family, job, old friends are close by and a great church as well. I’m super excited to see what He has planned for life up here. 
Courtney, roommate!


Parents meeting my sweet friends, The Freier Family!
 My first week of work has been a bit of an adjustment to say the least. The office I’m training in is super nice, big, great space, and organized, which for those of you who know me at all... this is one of those little things that make me happy! I drive about 40 minutes through some really pretty farm areas and very rural areas, its very common to see a horse and buggy with some Amish people starting their day as well. I’m not sure how long orientation will be; it really just depends on how fast I learn. There are 3 office locations, right now I’m at the main one (in Penn Yan), but I will be working at the office closest to me very soon, which is in Geneva, about 20 minutes. The doctor (Dr. Z) I will be working with is new to the practice as well, so we both are on the same learning boat. The practice has 5 dentists and about 20 staff members... big, huh? Even though I will be mostly in one office with the one dentist I still have to know how the other doctors like to do their own procedures. Besides studying everything I need to learn in the office I am also studying for the DANB exam, dental asst. national board test. It is required that I pass this to work in NY state. I have until May 22 to schedule and take this exam. 



To say I’m overwhelmed at this point is an understatement. God has been so good and showed me some verses that are sure to get me through these first couple of months up here.
“Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. “  1 Thess. 5:16-18
The Lord says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you. “   Ps. 32:8
“Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you. “
1 Peter 5:7
Along with these verses He has given me some pretty amazing people up here to watch out for me, encourage me, love me, and be such a blessing to me. I’m so thankful and humbled by their willing hearts. Who knew there are “southern hearts” up here. Praising Him for All His many blessing to me.

Speaking of blessings, I was blessed to DRIVE home yesterday in what these northerners are calling the BIGGEST STORM they’ve had all winter!! YEAH!! Me, little miss NC, driving my little Honda back from work in the 12+ inches of snow that are sitting outsides right now! How people out there cannot believe in a LIVING GOD is beyond me! So I enjoyed the afternoon off yesterday with my roommate, new friends and couple of kids as we watched the snow fall. This morning I woke up to Courtney telling me that it was STILL SNOWING…and in her out of breath voice saying, “I’m going to get the snow blower and dig out your car, its too deep to shovel.” Me in my just waking up voice, “huh, what…we got how much?!?! “ When I got up and called into work the lady said it was up to me if I wanted to come in today. Not wanting to be a “weenie” about it I said I could come in but not until little later in the morning but then thankfully she told me that no one was coming in and she doesn’t even like to drive in it! PRAISE The LORD, it’s only supposed to be 18 degrees today…so it’s a snow day for me! Here’s to a wonderful, new adventure filled weekend in the fresh mounds of snow with the roommie and her family!