Last week flew by so fast and this week seems to be doing the same. Hard to believe only 5 more days of ABO then a few days in Nairobi before leaving for the ISLAND! J
So, what’s going on? Let me see if I can back track and catch you guys up. My sweet friend, Brittany, gave birth to Miss HALLIE BROOKE on the 12th on February, weighing in at 8lbs 15oz 21inch long. I’m a very proud Auntie! I came home from church and was checking online to see if there was any news, this was morning for her. She was having some contractions, so of course I pick up the phone and call her right away. It was so good to hear her voice, we both started crying and then she took me through what was going on. As I got off the phone with her I knew it wouldn’t be long and she would be welcoming baby Hallie into the world. I went to Dinner and the power goes off, panic mode starts to creep in, and I begin to wonder if I will be able to Skype with her to see if Hallie is here yet? As we get back to the room, I’m at a loss, I ask my roommate to get on her knees with me. As we open our eyes…LIGHTS are on outside and in the hallways! I can’t get the computer opened fast enough and nothing…she isn’t online, no answer with the phone. I waited an hour then I couldn’t stand it anymore, called her mom and she gave me the BEST NEWS ever!!! Our King is so awesome and I’m so thankful for HIS power in allowing me technology to communicate with her.

It was a very intensive week of learning about African Cultures, so much information and great discussion among the workers. Our leaders did try to break things up a bit, as we went into town for lunch one day and then went on a “treasure hunt”. Just some questions to ask locals and things to look for and observe. It was all about building relationships with people and exploring the town, very fun! We ended the week with a Safari outing about an hour outside of town. It was a “get away” spot for people to go and stay in little cabins, have great food then see some wonderful animals. We just drove out for the day, had a great lunch and took little tour. Giraffes, zebras, antelopes, warthogs, and bison were just a few of the animals we got to see. We are hoping to go again once we get back to Nairobi.
Photo by roommate A
Photo by roommate S
With all new transitions comes something that no one really likes….sickness. As our Sunday service was ending it became more and more clear that Yes it was my turn. My group was able to explain that I needed to get back home because I wasn’t feeling well. So one of the elders of church agreed to bring me back in his car, allowing my roommate to come as well, so I made it back ok. This was so very much appreciated and I can’t wait to join them this Sunday and say how very thankful I am. That was Sunday morning, today is Wednesday and my first day back in classes, everyone is glad to see I’m alive and on the mend. We don’t know exactly what I had, only that no one else wants it! J I had to drink this HORRIBLE mixture of water, sugar and salt to try and restore fluids back to my body the fastest way possible. It’s something that’s very common in Africa to help with dehydration but I would have rather it be in IV form if ya know what I mean. I’m still weak, tired and just trying to take it slow before introducing African food back into my body. I have the best roomies possible, who stuck by me and helping get me to the bathroom, coach me through drinking that “juice” as we called it and just being good company. J Very thankful!